Tuesday, October 7, 2008

In the beginning was the Word...

What the hell am I doing here?

There are blogs for everything under the sun, and for things way beyond reach of the sun, and probably scores of them for the sun itself.  Does the informosphere really need any more clutter?  Surely not.  I have been seduced again by the smooth blank purity of an empty page, a page spread before me longing to  be filled.  A page so indiscriminate it asks for nothing but words of  my own choosing.  It will elevate whatever thoughts I impose on it to a tangible status as part of  the web.  How can I, a woman once described as "fiercely articulate", resist that call?

Quite easily, as it turns out.  I have also resisted journaling.  Just thinking about what and how I can resist, and where that goes, and what seductions change my mind is another post that I will have attend to later if I don't want to get completely off topic.  Only in the anthropomorphic imagery of the innocent sheets waiting for my debauchery am I seduced by the act of writing.  In truth, I need an audience.  

Ay, there's the rub.  Or lack of it.  So this is an experiment.  Will this turn out to be the song of a tree frog who lustily trills his all to the summer night, one tiny voice among millions, undaunted by a destiny that allows either one glorious mating discharge or an ignominious demise in the jaws of a passing bat?  Or will this be the echolocation of the bat, marking her journey by the response to her voice?

And you, who have by sheer chance read this far, what have I to offer you?  What mad tediousness might you be in for here?  If you ask me a question, I will be oracle to you and pretend to wisdom.  If you ignore me, I will make up ways to plead the case of my existence. You will see how convincing I am by how often I choose this venue to spill my thoughts.

Besides, who knew how easy this is?  No new (to this Google user) account, no money down, no questions asked, no references required......  The pseudo-inclusivity is infectious.  Are you a member of the literate, computer-accessing elite?  There's a place for you here, but it's up to you to make it yours.  It's also up to you to make it mine.

No comments: